A view from the Long Trail. Photo by charliebay.
Northland Adventure is a non-profit organization facilitating “the growth of individuals and organizations through adventure-based programming. It is our belief that the future of our world hinges upon the successful instruction of youth and adults in community involvement, global awareness, environmental sustainability, educational opportunity, and somatic healing.”
This year, that experiential education takes the form of a number of overnight camps and expeditions, such as a twenty-two day trek on Vermont’s Long Trail. Unfortunately, funding that Northland Adventure relied on fell through, putting future programs in jeopardy.
Now a fundraising campaign on Gofundme.com has launched to solicit donations to make up the shortfall. It’ll take $3580 “to keep the organization running at it’s current level,” but a minimum of $1660 for the summer 2012 slate of programs to go off as planned.
People wanting to contribute have two main options: a direct donation via Gofundme, which helps build Northland Adventure’s operating funds, or signing up for a program. There are still spaces available in various programs to be held this year.
- Daily Design Challenge, 12PM, ECHO Lake Aquarium and Science Center, Burlington. Regular admission, $8.50-10.50; free for kids 2 and under. (Kids)
- ‘The Nature of February’ – The animals and plants of our northern hardwood forests on an excursion of easy to moderate difficulty. 10:30AM, 1:30PM, Mad River Glen Ski Area, Fayston. $15-25; $65 per family of four. (Outdoors)
- Marjorie Cady Memorial Writers Group, 10AM–12PM, Ilsley Public Library, Middlebury. Free. (Writing)
- Open Cardgames!, 6pm – 11pm, Quarterstaff Games, Burlington. (Gaming)
- L5R Constructed, 7pm – 11pm, Quarterstaff Games, Burlington. (Gaming)
- Ishmael Khaldi “growing up in Israel as a Bedouin, his experiences in the Israeli political spectrum, and the importance of the US-Israel relationship.”, 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., Living and Learning Commons 216, UVM, Burlington. (Talks)
Monshire Museum, Norwich:
- 11:30 a.m. Magnets You will discover cool ways to experiment with and use magnets.
- 3:00 p.m. Microscopic Explorations Use microscopes to magnify items and you will discover that there is more to see than with the naked eye.
- Geology Seminar: “Modeling the mantle circulation and melting in the Cascades-Yellowstone subduction system”, 10-10:50 a.m., Cabot 85, Norwich University, Northfield. (Geology)
- Mini Painting, 6:00pm – 8:30pm, The Gamers Grotto, Bennington. (Gaming)
- Monday Night Magic, 6pm – 9pm, Village Pizza, Montpelier. (Gaming)